Tel: 01299 660 237

Accountants. Advisors. Partners.
Call us now on: 01299 660 237

Income Tax Rates and Allowances

Income tax is a tax on income (earning). Not all income is taxable and you’re only taxed on ‘taxable income’ above a certain levels. Even then, there are other reliefs and allowances that can reduce your income tax bill – and in some cases mean you’ve no tax to pay.

Income Tax Rates Table

Income Tax Rates 2013/14 2014/2015
Starting rate of 10% on savings income up to* £2,790 £2,880
Basic rate of 20% on income up to £32,010 £31,865
Higher rate of 40% on income £32,011– £31,866–
£150,000 £150,000
Tax on first £150,000 £53,598 £53,627
Additional rate on income over £150,000 45% 45%
Dividends for:
Basic rate taxpayers 10% 10%
Higher rate taxpayers 32.5% 32.5%
Additional rate taxpayers 37.5% 37.5%

*Not available if taxable non-savings income exceeds the starting rate band.

Income Tax Allowances

Main income tax allowances 2013/14 2014/2015
Personal allowance £9,440 £10,000
Personal allowance reduced by 50% if total income exceeds £100,000 £100,000
Personal if born between 6/4/38 and 5/4/48 £10,500 £10,500
Personal if born before 6/4/38 £10,660 £10,660
Personal if born before 6/4/48 reduced by 50% if income exceeds £26,100 £27,000
Married couples/civil partners (minimum) at 10%* £3,040 £3,140
Married couples/civil partners (maximum) at 10%* £7,915 £8,165
Blind person’s allowance £2,160 £2,230

*Where at least one spouse/civil partner was born before 6 April 1935.

What counts as taxable income?

Earning that count towards taxable income are:

  • Earnings from employment
  • Earnings from self-employment
  • Pension income
  • Interest on savings
  • Income from shares/dividends
  • rental income

What are tax free allowances?

Nearly everyone who is resident in the UK for tax purposes receives a Personal Allowance, which is an amount of taxable income you’re allowed to earn or receive each year tax-free.
This tax year (2013-14) the basic Personal Allowance – or tax-free amount – is £9,440. You may be entitled to a higher Personal Allowance if you were born before 6 April 1948.

Tax Allowances for company directors or employees?

If you’re an employee or director you might be able to get tax relief for business expenses you’ve paid for.

Back to Top
Cookie Control

Cookie control

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.

I'm fine with this

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.

You can use this tool to change your cookie settings. Otherwise, we’ll assume you’re OK to continue.

Some of the cookies we use are essential for the site to work.

We also use some non-essential cookies to collect information for making reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form.

To control third party cookies, you can also adjust your browser settings.

I'm fine with this
(One cookie will be set to store your preference)
(Ticking this sets a cookie to hide this popup if you then hit close. This will not store any personal information)
Information and Settings Cookie policy